Discovering what love is one day at a time
A simple truth of being a follower of Christ is that we are spiritually wealthy. We have been given all things that pertain to godliness. Wealth in the financial realm is something that needs to be stewarded well. If it isn’t then that wealth dissipates and doesn’t provide returns. Our spiritual wealth needs to be stewarded. We need to steward the presence of God, we need to steward our hearts, and we need to walk out what He has called us to. Simply put, we have to invest in what we have been given.
If you know me, you know that I am not a money or numbers person, but I found the concepts of investment portfolios applicable to our spiritual responsibility. Check it out:
1. Markets Work- Trying to beat or be the head of a market leads to frustration. Service and honor to one another are foundational to your investment.
Meeting together-exchanging provision where there is need, providing what is lacking out of love and honor for one another benefits all. If you are only a consumer you miss out…if you are only a provider you do not gain the benefits of the market. Relationship is key.
(Supply & Demand willingness to have relationship/standing in the gap for one another/honor/value)
2. Avoid Conflict of Interest: Each one needs to be invested AND willing to provide objective advice (truth in love)
Same vision needed to provide platform to move forward from. If all parties are not invested in vision conflict will arise to break up and cause division/separation/loss.
(Participation in advantage & responsibility vs. excess of or lack of what is due or expected)
There is always order in the vision: Each branch of the fellowship’s vision is to be subject to the headship & complementary not contrary or superceeding headships vision. Who is King in the vision?
3. Diversification is Essential Global scope, multiple asset classes- neutralizes risks
Our differences are the building blocks to making us stronger in Him. We all have so much to offer one another to help each one of us to mature in Him. Without one another, we suffer in growth.
“from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love.” Eph 4:16
Our character is displayed in our relationships with each other…the quality of bonds we develop, the love we have for one another, the depth of relationships that we cultivate. In a body of people like the church it is the joining or bonding among the members which makes it function properly and benefits all. Bricks do not make a building, but joining them together does.
4. Risks & Return are Related Willingness to accept more risk in order to pursue greater returns.
Count it all joy when you fall into various trials…Joy set before us…is purpose- reason to press forward into relationship even in conflict or disagreement. To live is Christ…
5. Portfolio Structure Will Drive Performance How we build-individually and corporately will drive the end result- efficiency, behavior, fruit, and execution of our actions…our competence
What we offer willingly will drive our return. What is submitted will breathe life. Whatever is king will drive the outcome. Who is your KING?
What comes first: the Kingdom of God and His righteousness, or our own way?
PRACTICAL IMPLEMENTATION- Our response as born again believers we are called to and as well should be committed to:
1. Reduce Investment Expenses Protect each investment …know direction they are going…honor protect hearts of (I am my brothers keeper…shepherding each others hearts.) Value each person individually. When one member lets go…hang on, encourage, and don’t let go…yet honor their “no”, longsuffering(waiting for the open door)
Count the cost- do my actions benefit, build up, strengthen heal…or do they steal kill destroy… take from the capital...the body…the inheritance in the saints?
2. Minimize Taxes and Turnover Taxes reduce your return.
Purity of heart. Commitment to God in this and with each other. Biblical Obedience vs. personal comfort or gain. Do my actions and words tax another, or cause a stumbling block?
Love the lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength and love your neighbor as yourself.
Am I taxing others, taking from them, or investing in them?
3. Transparency In portfolio management, because investors directly own the underlying securities in their accounts, they can exert certain control over specific investments, directing account managers in their investment selections. Because of such portfolio transparency, investors of portfolio management accounts always know what securities are in their portfolio.
And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.
We are to be naked and bare before Him & He clothes us w/ His garments…As we see our brothers nakedness we are to give him our garments…to protect them covering them…speaking the truth in love. Feed where there is need…spiritually speaking
He has shown you O man what is good and what does the Lord require of you. But to do justly to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.
4. Diversify Systematically Give variety to balance defensively by dividing group among securities of different classes and industries…methodic thoroughness & regularity
Outside of group and within: fellowship/bible study/prayer time/worship/accountability/mentorship/devoting ourselves to one another
5. Maintain Investment Discipline Preserve from decline, sustain against opposition and danger, uphold and defend persevere in- support and provide for
Commitment to Love/ Put on Love
6. Think Long Term Finishing Well Together:the investor who stays in for the long term is more likely to achieve his or her goals than the investor who chases “hot tips” for quick profits in the stock market.
Investment into our inheritance pursuing Him together. Rooting and grounding ourselves in Him protecting, loving, strengthening and supporting each other.
The whole investment…The body, will not flourish and abound if commitment to Him and His ways are not our standard procedure and operations manual. Something will give…and at what cost? Stability is not provided by individual parts but by the quality of the joints.
Rooted and grounded in love, (in Christ) and connected to the body of believers.
I have been married to my wonderful husband for 22 years. We have two boys ages 18 and 13.. This blog is somewhat of a journal and attempt for me to keep a purposeful perspective on life as a whole.